Wednesday, April 8, 2015

R1 Response

The first page was a wiki page on Synesthesia, which is something I had never heard of before. I find the concept of Synesthesia pretty complicated to grasp. The page we had to read describes it as the stimulation of one of the senses, involuntarily activating another sense in the body. I vaguely understand this idea, but the examples given including correlating colors and numbers confused me. Perhaps further into the semester I will be able to more throughly grasp this idea. 
After reading the second page about cymatics, things became a little more clear. I have heard about this kind of art before and I think it is really awesome. The artist uses sound waves and matter (either liquid or sand or something of that sort) to create something unique. The matter is moved and affected by the sound waves, which usually results in some beautiful pattern or movement that makes music, not only an audible experience, but also a visual one. The video about Daniel Tammet was extremely intriguing and allowed me to understand things further. It made me wonder if only autistic people or special people could fully grasp the idea of synesthesia. His speach allowed me to realize how important perception and its power are in our daily lives. The differences in peoples minds and how they experience reality are amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment