Wednesday, April 8, 2015

R3 Response

All of the assigned media for this week is about crowd sourcing, which I have to admit I have mixed feelings about. I like the idea of everyone collaborating and coming together to make something bigger, but in the end, it does not feel like the work involved for each person really pays off. For example, I spent several hours working on the frames for our assignment, and I am not going to get very much credit for it... my frames will only take up a fraction of a 1 minute film. The other problem is that a lot of people in the class did not even turn all of their frames in, and even some of the people who did put limited time and energy into it (often just making lame scribbles in the page), which decreases the effectiveness of the entire project for everyone. I will say that I am a control freak when it comes to creative authorship, so I don't see crowd sourcing in my future as an artist. However, it was an interesting experiment and it was definitely cool to see other crowd sourcing projects going on in the world. One of the best examples is Wikipedia, where people combine knowledge and create this amazing online library where people can learn about so much. The Cloud Filmmaking manifesto was also an interesting example but again, I don't think I would want to be a part of something like that moving forward because I don't think the payoff is even with the work involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment