Friday, April 24, 2015

Ranking the Projects

1- Freestyle- It was really fun to brainstorm on ideas and do something unique. It forced me to take on a personal project that I wouldn't necessarily have done otherwise. I also really enjoyed hearing what everyone came up with in class. I think that it will be really cool to see how everyone's projects turned out at the end of the year!

2- Bolex Shoot- I totally love working with real film cameras and I enjoyed learning how to process and transfer film. Seeing the film all the way through from loading the camera to transferring it to digital and editing the cut was an awesome experience. I really felt like I had ownership over this project. Although our project did not turn out as planned, it was a great learning experience. 

3-Rhythmic Edit- To be honest, when we were first presented this project, I thought I was going to hate it. My style of editing is much slower and more intuitive than following a formula. However, it was really cool to explore with a different style, and I really like the way my edit of Kevin turned out. Playing around with the music was my favorite part! I also really liked the idea of pairing us up and having each person make a portrait of the other. I felt like it gave us interesting insight into our classmates. 

4-Animation- Learning about stop motion animation was definitely cool. It is crazy how time consuming the process is! This project definitely gave me a newfound respect for the imagination and patience of animators. I liked that we were able to work in groups for the video, but then each many our own soundscape. Playing with the power of sound is something I really enjoyed in this class. 

5-Film manipulation- I have to say, I wasn't too interested in the way our film looked when it was projected... that kind of film is a little too abstract for my taste. That being said, I did have a lot of fun messing around with the film and seeing what happened when we put bleach, sprinkles, and magazine prints on the film. While this was fun to make, I didn't really leave me with a film work that I could be proud of. 

6- Crowd sourcing- I think that the idea of crowd sourcing sounds really nice, but for the amount of work I did for this project, it felt like there was little benefit. I put a lot of time and effort into my slides so it was disappointing to see that a lot of people didn't turn all of theirs in. Months later, we still haven't seen the end result so I almost feel like all the work I did for that project was for nothing :-/

Generally, I liked all of the projects. I thought each one was unique and helped us to explore an entirely different aspect of filmmaking, which I appreciated. This class has been such a great creative outlet this semester, and has opened my mind up to a lot of different types of filmmaking. With all of these projects, I especially liked the hands on approach. I really feel that I learned a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment